Monday, January 13, 2014

Disconnect to re-connect

I lay back, i look up and i see.

I was chatting this week to some friends and it got me thinking... How often are we plugged in? We live in a time where it is considered socially acceptable to text or inbox people at 10 at night, to call them and to expect them to instantaneously answer - or at the very least, call right back! Why is it that in this day and era we face the demand to be available 24/7? And why is it that we are so insecure, that should someone not reply right away, we assume that something must be wrong?

Any one who knows me, understands that i am not a talker, i'm not even a great texter. I enjoy my own company and i realise that this is a personality trait rather than a conscious choice to 'disconnect', however it surprises me just how many people live continuously connected, and struggle with such a concept! 

I suppose it perplexes me more so in these warmer months, because for me and my little family, we trundle off to the beach, ready for a day of sun and sand castles and on those days i rarely even touch my phone! Yet as i look around me at the beach - there they are, people, engaged in an online world, not even embracing the glorious world right there in front of them. What happened just 10-15 years ago when a family took to the beach? Why you left your life on pause at home and embraced the immediacy of the life you present in. Maybe a *10# when you got home, sure maybe a mobile brought along just in case, but none of this online contentedness we see with social media today.

So i am setting the challenge! Disconnect to re-connect. Turn off the phone and just be. Look around you! Think about nothing and everything. Breathe deep and replenish. Be empowered by your ability to be present in a moment. Enjoy it for what it is worth, take note of its scent, its sounds and its feel. Commit it to memory and make it yours! I promise you will realise that the world does not stop, life goes on and their is more to life than being plugged in, all the time ;)

Aymie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment