Saturday, January 11, 2014

2/52 | Free Range Kids








Part of my world involves parenting. Hands down one of the most challenging yet fulfilling task one can ever undertake. I know that sounds cliche and i'm ok with that. I sit here at my computer and i listen. I here their little voices, i hear their squeals of delight and dismay as their day carry's on in ebs and flo.

Parenting can be hard. It can also be easy. Essentially the struggles you face as a parent are always your own. For me parenting has been grounded by one concept. I decided to try and raise free range kids. For me this means allowing my children a level of autonomy and freedom.

I let my kids enjoy grapes on jatz biccies or dress themselves in their own outfits. Someday's we venture into the world as a ninja, someday's not. It also means that on someday's, especially as the sun beats down on us in these warmer months, i let my children swim naked at the beach.

As a parent i at times face friends who worry over the 'exposure' of my children to potential harms of unwanted eyes, disturbing minds that revel in such little people. For me i feel that it is more important for my child to enjoy their own body freely and organically with nature, before their minds are contaminated with lustful, sexualised inhibitions. 

I have educated my children, they know the potential risks (at a level they can comprehend). However i also encourage them to be children, to be free, to embrace and delight in the innocence of their limited youth. to feel the waves crash and the sand scrub between their tiny toes, the water caress and mould around their little bodies. 

I want them to know that nakedness does not always and solely equate to a sexual self. Rather it can be used to embrace and empower oneself. to free oneself from the social limits applied. For it won't last long. Nothing ever does.

No comments:

Post a Comment